Sunday, November 30, 2008

A Girl and her Hutch

The hutch in my dining room is one of my biggest display areas. And since I own 933 white plates and pitchers and things, it's always something I'm tweaking. Much to my husband's amazement and disbelief. "You just tweaked it the other night!" Yes, but I bought one new white plate and it threw the whole thing off. You know what I mean.

It started like this:

which felt way too cluttered.

Problem is, even though I dream of taking a crowbar to that middle strip of wood to free up the display space, I fear the whole thing would come crashing down. So I don't. I work around it. And the top shelf is so short almost nothing fits up there, which limits the options quite a bit. Come to think of it, at least 3 of my really cool large white platters don't fit in here on any shelf.

Anyways, it led to this


and this

{which is shocking now that I see it in print. It's literally a dumping ground for all things dish.}

and finally this




I used the Nester's idea of mounting scrapbook paper to the back of it, but I didn't have enough of 1 kind for all the shelves and I didn't like the stuff I had on hand for the other shelves. So I just did the middle shelf. And I think I kind of like it.

What do you think? Too much going on still? Is it weird with only one shelf backed with paper? Should I pack away more of my junk into those overstuffed drawers and cabinets, start over, or leave as is? I pray you suggest the latter. There's nothin' like a maniac in capri pants rearranging her hutch for the fourth time this week, husband and children starving in the background, house all torn asunder, for the love of the tweak.

{Real Tweakers beware, I am totally not talking about that kind of tweaking. This is for home decor tweakers and Martha wannabees only, please.}

14 comments:

Cindy said...

Wow, I thought it looked good in the before photo but I really love the after photo! Now, I'm thinking my hutch looks too cluttered and I just tweaked mine!

Wendy said...

What a beautiful hutch! I'm an obsessive treaker too, so I know where you're coming from. It looks lovely for now...until the next tweak ;-)

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I love the paper. I can't believe you own 933, I'm so jealous. I also love the moss balls. Wonder how long it will last.

Kari said...

Laurel - of course that number is make believe but it probably verges on at least 50. The moss balls are actually really nice plastic-y (but matte) little balls of greenery I got in St. Helena in wine country at a chi-chi shop... won't go brown any time soon. ;-)

Maisy said...

WOW!!! That's beautiful. Now...can you come to my house and do some tweking??? I'm not nearly as good at is as you!!!!

www.themaisyreport.blogspot.com

Inspired Kara said...

I'm loving it. I love the mix of dish and non dish and I think the scrap paper is a great touch. Beautiful!!

emily freeman said...

I love your hutch! I especially love the drawers filled with "all things dish" because it is exactly what mine looks like. Except yours is neater.

Thank you for your thoughtful comment on my blog. I'm certain we could swap lots of stories on motherhood with our kids ages being so close! I look forward to stopping by again.

cherry said...

Gorgeous! I collect ironstone as well. I think it looks marvy. cherry

Kasey said...

of course!
I might just add you to mine also:)
Thanks.

Kari said...

Thanks Kasey!!!

Kasey said...

btw, you need to add your email address under your profile, so people like me can contact you instead of leaving a million comments:)

cherry said...

I don't mind that you added me at all! I will add yours as well. Love your inspiration! cherry

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Oh, I think the tweaking is great! Love all your white dishes, it's beautiful.

Jeanne Oliver said...

LOVE the hutch. It looked great even before you tweaked. I think the paper looks great. I love all the white. Mine is full of all white also, but I have a corner hutch. I could use more room...then I would have to tweak more often:-) Found you through Kasey. Love your blog.