Wednesday, February 18, 2009

10 minute makeover

In honor of The Nester's party, here is my 10 minute makeover.... hope you like it.



I am hosting my sister's baby shower at my home in about 3 weeks, so I wanted to freshen up the decor a bit. One of the things that's been bugging me are a couple of my faux arrangements. Now, I love them, but they felt a bit heavy for spring and I wanted to lighten at least the one by the front door up a bit. Here it is in it's before state. Very green and brown:



So I removed all the stems and put back in just the longest ones, the most architectural ones.



Once I got those arranged, I added in some more architectural pieces like fern:



Lastly, I added in some dried hydrangeas from my garden so the look isn't completely faux. It has a softer, springy palette and I thought it looked great.



But a couple more tweaks made it even more springy. I switched out the tray for a white shabby one and added a light colored finial.


Then I tucked some french postcards in the mirror above it to repeat the colors in the hydrangeas and now I love it!

20 comments:

Stacey said...

Great job. It just doesn't get any better than hydrangeas. :)

southerninspiration said...

Ahhhh, now it's lovely, with the hydrangeas....so pretty!j

Suzanne

Funky Junk Interiors said...

Nicely done! Enjoy them!

CMB said...

Very nice...I love hydrangeas!

Unknown said...

Love the arrangement- I'm terrible at doing that- thanks for the reminder of the postcards I have a bunch of those somewhere.

trish said...

How pretty and I love the floral "tutorial" I needed that!
Sincerely ~ Tricia Anne

Anonymous said...

Your floral tray is so pretty! I need to get out my faux flowers and arrange a pretty arrangement!

Free Art Printables said...

I love it! It' so pretty!

Rachel Lundy said...

Lovely. I really like flower arrangements.

Tracy said...

Beautiful arrangement. I'm florally challenged myself, so thanks for showing how you did it.

Unknown said...

Beautiful arrangement, thanks for sharing your step-by-step!

Nicole ~ said...

I think it looks great too!

Gretchen said...

Fabulous!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

Those small details really make a huge difference! I love the postcards. So wonderful!

Jen

The Nester said...

Yep, this is the time of the year when I long to lighten things up a bit. something about February makes me want spring! Hate that I'm rushing the seasons.

Somehow, I've made this comment all about myself. Hate me.

YOU did good!

Amber B. said...

Looks great. Love the postcards and the seashells!

Wendy said...

Kari! That's fabulous! I love the hyndrangeas with the fern. And, of course, I love the French postcards.

Jodi said...

great job - I am totally in love with hydrangeas so this is right up my alley!!

Carrie @carrieloves said...

I love the flower arrangement & seashells. Very lovely.

Misti of Studio M Designs said...

Looks great! Now I need to get busy and Spring it up around my place.
Thanks for sharing~
~Misti