Wednesday, February 25, 2009

{le bain}

When we bought our little rancher nearly 2 years ago, one of the things that attracted us to it was that it was in move-in condition. Brand new cabinets, granite, flooring and fixtures. Mind you, if I had my druthers this is not what I would have picked, but it is very nice so I am grateful. You see, we did not have ca$h to come in and rip out bathrooms or buy new granite just 'cause I didn't like the old/new stuff.


So I have tried hard to infuse my personality and style in through the fabrics and accessories I chose all the while trying to blend it in with the updated almost contemporary {maybe more traditional?} vibe of the previous owner's upgrades. I think it works, but I'll let you be the judge...



{the hall bath}

decorated in shades of white, cream, black and gold to compliment the granite countertop and tumbled marble floor and shower. The rug {not shown} is just a plush muted gold color. So snuggly for little ones stepping out of the bath.




I did not want to have a full shower curtain because the shower doors and tile are quite pretty, but I wanted some softness. I also did not want a big ugly rod stretching the width of the shower and taking attention away from the pretty accent tiles and the nice brushed stainless glass doors. So I copied this idea from a friend. I attached a towel bar {purchased to match the existing ones in the bathroom} to the ceiling and hung an extra long Ikea white curtain panel {I cut off the tab tops} which my Grandma Mimi sewed gold pom-pom trim onto. It softens the space without making it feel smaller which was a big concern. And I can have my gateau and eat it too.




A bit of clearance toile ribbon holds it back:




Here is a vintage mirror I painted black then distressed. The more light bouncing around in this very small space, the better:





I have a thing for all white towels. They scream clean and spa to me, plus they match anything.


The cool light fixture installed by the previous owners:



A shabby antique chair I got {the chippy paint in tones of cream and butterscotch matches the bathroom exactly!} for my girls to stand on to brush their teeth:


My little vignette above the toilette {hey, that rhymes!}


The little girl's slip is vintage and was in my friend's mother's collection. So sweet.

An urn type thing filled with fabulous french and greek soaps, lavender, and seashells.


Some little containers on the countertop. All found on clearance and the little china cup is from the Salvation Army. A darling q-tip holder.


A little french mirror and vintage french postcard.


I even coordinated the soap and room spray. Gotta love Marshalls.


My antique transferware platter scored for a mere $13!


Lastly, a golden starfish to round out the color scheme.


Hope you enjoyed the little tour!

27 comments:

southerninspiration said...

So pretty and some really great ideas!!! I love the platter the best, as I have a thing for platters! :)
Thanks for sharing!

Suzanne

Chris Kauffman said...

It looks fantastic .
Love that curtain .

Anonymous said...

Very good! I think that you have done a great job! FANTASTIC!!!!

Kasey said...

It looks fabulous Kari, and I love the chippy chair.
xo

Tracy said...

Very creative, the towel rod as curtain rod idea is terrific. You really gave this room some personality.

Unknown said...

I love it! I definitely think you added your own personality to it and it really works. I LOVE the idea of the towel bar on the ceiling!

Sheryl

Cottage Lifestyle said...

Love it. The towel bar on the ceiling is genius.

Renee

The Nester said...

That's the cleverest thing I've seen all day.

Simplicity Cottage said...

What a beautiful bathroom. Great color combination. LOVE IT!

Joy said...

That is such a pretty little bathroom. So many pretties to enjoy!

Free Art Printables said...

That's a fabulous bathroom! I love the mix of cream and white!

Honey Bend Vintage said...

I think you did a wonderful job of adding your touches. Great idea with the shower curtain, and I love the chair.
Bristol

Amanda said...

I really like the distressed mirror and cute chair for your girls to stand on. Nice work on putting it all together.

Meg said...

Beautiful! What a great idea for the shower curtain. I wouldn't have thought to do that in a million years! I truly love your style :) And thanks for your kind comments over at my blog. You are so sweet :D

Meg

Sarah said...

I love your ideas! The bathroom is fabulous! I love it! Great post!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

You've done a fabulous job of infusing your personality into that bathroom. I love all the details!

Scooper said...

Hello friend. So darling what you've done! It looks great. Oh, how I heart home tours.

Of course, I'm still dying of your dining room. It's so beautiful!

Wendy said...

Kari! You are always an inspiration! How can one woman have such wonderful taste?

Unknown said...

How sweet - the towel bar/shower curtain is genius! What a great way to add fabric.

Inspired Kara said...

Please come decorate my bathroom!!!! It's starving for attention!

Nettie Beard said...

Nester recommended your blog and I must say - I LUV the shower curtain idea. You see, it's perfect for my situation... my shower is right next to the door... and my current full curtain gets caught in the door quite often. I didn't like the idea of a valance - so your awesome idea is perfect!!!

SeaWorthy said...

So cute girl!

Felicia said...

Well it turned out pretty fabulous. I like how you brought these different elements together into one cohesive style. I recently updated my bathroom too. Not enough bathroom redos in the blog world :)

Chrissy...The Apothecary Shop said...

I LOVE YOUR BATHROOM!!!!Its sooo pretty and so french...I just love it, I really love that mirror and chair too!! Great post!

Jeanne Oliver said...

I love the shower curtain. I see beautiful curtains all the time, but we have a shower door too....now I can add one. Great idea!!!!

jvw home said...

I enjoyed finding your blog today and looking at all your great photos, etc....
LOVE your brilliant idea of using a towel rod for this shower curtain! Have never thought of that one and it looks great!
I look fwd to reading more posts in the new year!
(and i liked the post on the baby shower, cuz i'm in the midst of designing a baby room for a client)
All the best,
Jeanette
jvw home

http://jvwhome.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

This looks so good! I'm going to try it.


Bain Maries