Tuesday, February 3, 2009

{a little editing, some awards, & some great thrifting finds}

I'm sure you are sick to death of pictures of my dining room, but after studying the pics in my last post and living with all the new arrangements, a couple of things were really bugging me. I had to lose those topiaries... first off they are too plasticy to have down low on a table, and they were a little large and bulky for the space. I replaced them with wheat bundles I bought post-season for little of nothin'. I know wheat is associated more with fall, but I care not. I love these wheat bundles to death. And once I ripped off the raffia bows and replaced them with green grosgrain ribbon to match my walls, I was in l-o-v-e.










I also edited the hutch a little, and redid the arrangement on top. It's much cleaner now and feels less cluttered. I am really really happy with how it turned out.









Much better, don't you agree? Now I truly want to sit in here for hours. :-)

Now, on to some great thrifting finds. This cutie was only $2 and is silverplate. I will be using it for truffles and baklava at my sister's baby shower in March:




This ironstone J&G Meakin sugarbowl was found at Goodwill for $7. A bit of a splurge, but I figured I'd kick myself later if I didn't get it. Some of the silverware inside, including a spoon with a monogrammed "P" which. I. love. was only $1 each:



2 matching urns found today at Goodwill, $4 each:


This little ironstone transferware bone dish was only .50 and makes my heart sing:



And this you will not believe. I have 2 pieces of Arthur Court serveware {very expensive and pretty and nice but kind of dressy for my style} the olive boat and the granite cheese board which I love, but I never desired getting any large silver serving pieces to match as they're usually at least $100 and a little ornate for me. But, all that goes out the window when you're driving by a garage sale and see a brand-new-in-the-box-with-the-tag 16" tray that has the $99 retail sticker on it and you get it for $1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Um. yeah. That is my style. 'Nuff said.


And finally, this darling petite topiary for $2.


I think I racked up, no?

Finally, some awards. I was so sweetly awarded 2 awards last week and I am just now getting to them! Thank you so much to Jeanne over at Bushel and a Peck who gave me this award:

And a big thank you to Kathleen over at Musings From a French Cottage who bestowed me with this darling award:
Love this image!
Thank you all. I can't tell you what it means to me to have so many people interested in my blog, let alone commenting, and let alone cheering me on and liking my taste! It really has been a great outlet for me and I thank you all for your friendship.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the award! All very cute things - I love your dining room. I think it's painted the same color (or very close) as my kitchen! I love green! Have a great night!

Michelle said...

I LOVE your dining room and your arrangements. Love that little coffee can and your finds...well I'm just jealous! I need to head back to Goodwill this weekend. :) Great finds and congrats on your award!

Amber B. said...

ONE DOLLAR FOR ARTHUR COURT???? Are you kidding me? That is a fabulous deal! We registered for some of that (because when we got married it was very popular down here) and it was WAY more than a buck!

I really like the wheat stalks on the table--very airy and fresh. And I'm jealous of that transferware dish.

Maisy said...

I didn't think your DR could get any better but you did it again :)
As for your finds....I NEVER find stuff like that at the resale shops around my house.
Keep posting pics. I love them!

Cottage Lifestyle said...

I need to go thrift shopping and garage saling with you. Fabulous finds. The dining room looks great.

Renee

Wendy said...

Such pretty windows in your dining room. I thought it looked lovely before...but it looks super now. And your thrift finds are awesome!

CMB said...

Love how your dining room turned out! Fabulous thrift store finds...I never find stuff that good, love the 3 tiered tray!

Unknown said...

I am glad I am not the only one who rearranges! It looked great before and even better now. Love the plates over the hutch!
Thanks for all your support.
Jill

The Queen of Fifty Cents said...

That is one beautiful room, and I love the wheat. I used to live in wheat growing country and it is so lovely. And I'm quite taken with your use of the small doily in the bowl of silverware!

Michelle, All Home and Love said...

I am drooling over your finds, they are wonderful! It's just amazing what you can find at the thrift store. Your new and improved dining room looks great as well. It looked beautiful before but I do love the changes.
~Michelle

Kasey said...

dining room is devine, my friend.
oh, and you so deserve the awards!
xxoo

Karla said...

Your wheat bundles are beautiful!! And your dining room looks perfect! Great finds too! :)

~Karla

Sadie Olive said...

Beautiful home, and great finds!

Musings From A French Cottage said...

I love the wheat bundles on your table - very nice! You found some wonderful treasures. Thrifting has got to be one of my favorite things to do. Love the urns!!

Hugs,
Kathleen

Meg said...

Congrats on your awards! They are totally deserved. And wow, what great finds - bravo!

paige said...

you are living right!
i love all your goodwill scores.
the room redo looks fab-i especially love the arrangement atop the bureau!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

Love your awards - very much deserved. I have the same finial, and the same wheat bundles (that I also ripped off the rafia and put a grosgrain ribbon on!). I also love the little topiary - I'm a sucker for those!

LuLu said...

Oh where have I been not to have visited your blog before, my head must have been in the sand... my hubby is out of town so tonight i look forward to read and looking at all your wonderful finds!!!
LuLu

Lisa said...

You're dinning room turned out beautiful. I love the tweaking you've done and your new treasures! Chao for now!

Elise said...

Love it all!! Can I move in?!?!
Elise

Jeanne Oliver said...

The room looks amazing! I am the same way. I think it is perfect and then have to go back and change a bunch of things. I thought it looked great the first time!